Friday, May 11, 2012

Back in Hong Kong


After a four hour mechanical delay, and a sixteen-plus hour flight from Chicago on a tired and well-used 747-200, I arrived in Hong Kong on Thursday night. Paying a bit extra for an exit row made all the difference in the world, as far as legroom was concerned.
It's now 2:00 am on Saturday morning and the first image that I'm posting is an image which I made last night, from the back window of my hotel, 60 West Suites.
I couldn't be happier with my room and my great fortune in finding this hotel in the center of Hong Kong-a city which is notorious for affordable hotels with tiny rooms. When I arrived at 10:30 pm local time, the desk clerk couldn't find my room key and after about twenty minutes I was given the key to room 1504, which is a two bedroom apartment with a small kitchen area. I'm learning that patience is indeed a virtue and in this case I was rewarded with a great "room" with huge windows in front and back.
Typical for this time of year, the weather is hot, humid and very overcast, so after an breakfast of dim sum in a small restaurant nearby, the afternoon was spent walking and riding the trams around the island, trying to reacquaint myself with this incredible city. I think that Hong Kong stimulates more of the human senses than almost any other city that I've visited. The sounds, smells, tastes are incredible!
And of course, there are the things to see and capture....
Over the next eleven days, I will try to share my experiences in this vibrant and exciting city with pictures, as often as I can. Stay tuned.

Soccer being played under the lights, in the middle of Hong Kong.




1 comment:

  1. So glad to see your post--we'll be watching for more! Safe journey.
    Blessings, Lois & Ken

    ReplyDelete