Thursday, March 22, 2012

Forever is a long time....


During recent negotiations for the usage of one of my images in a prominent travel magazine by a well-known publisher,  I made changes to the all-encompassing/one-sided contract which was presented to me. Basically, the unaltered contract stated that the publisher could use the image in any way shape or form, and that they could authorize anyone else to use the image-FOREVER!
Ultimately the changes were accepted and I licensed the image for what I felt was a fair licensing fee.
Because of the changes to the contract, in the past year, I have licensed the same image to the Chinese, Korean, Italian and Russian versions of the same magazine for more than $2500, and I'm waiting to hear back from the Brazilian edition.


Moral of the story? Stand up for terms & conditions which are fair to both parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment